Here are TODAYS Tips:
AWARENESS IN THE STREET
- Be assertive in your walk, using a firm, steady pace.
A passive or fearful walk gives an image of vulnerability and sets you up as the easy target the assailant needs.
- Avoid walking through groups of men or even groups
of women or mixed groups that seem rowdy.
- Plan your route in advance. Walk in well traveled
areas. Avoid bushes, alleys, vacant lots, entryways and short cuts through deserted places. Vary your route home.
- If you think you are being followed, cross the street,
change directions, and keep looking behind you so it is obvious that you are aware. Take note of their appearance or any descriptions
you may be able to give to the police. If you are being followed by a car, memorize the license number, run to the nearest
business and call the police.
- Keep a secure grip on your purse. Do not allow it
to dangle. Keep fasteners and zippers closed and any openings close to your body. However, if threatened by a demand for your
purse, do not choose your purse over your own safety.
- Do not allow force or threats to get you into a car.
Keep your hands free whenever possible.
- If you are waiting outside, stand balanced on both
feet. Do not put your hands in your pockets. Be aware of cars that pull up to you or that pass you repeatedly.
- If a driver asks directions, do not get close to the
- Do not accept rides from strangers.
- When using public transportation, sit toward the front
of the bus or in busy subway trains and be aware of the people getting off with you.
- NEVER HITCHHIKE!